2/19/13

Fast and Slow Game

I love to imagine the days when our kidDOS will read a story book to me and Papito.  What a joy!
One of our old time favorites!

Reading continues to be my topic of investigation. Slow reading is the first step in the progression to a developed mature reader. Children need to learn how things sound when a word it is pronounced slowly. They also need to be able to put the sounds together in a fast way, just like we talk. Our new game this past weeks: Fast and Slow. We practice saying words fast or slow as much as we can. We play while we drive from one place to another, while I am cooking, and as we wait in line at the store checkout.
Here is how our game sounds like
Mami: "mmmeee"    ....   "say it fast"
kidDOS: "me"
Mami: "very good" .... next  ....  ready? ....
Mami: "now listen, can you say this slowly?"   ...  ready  ....  me
kidDOS: "mmmeee"
Mami: "Great!"
This idea comes from the book "Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" by Siegfried Englemann. I have some other things to share with you about this book, that I hope to be posting soon.

Do you have a favorite story book that is cherished by you and your children?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any ideas or opinions? We would love to hear from you.