2/11/13

Reading Box

I am in the discovery path of ways teach my kidDOS to read. I love to learn new things. It is even more fun when I can help my children learn.

This past week we started our reading box. An idea from the book "Mommy, Teach Me To Read". This is an encouraging book with engaging ideas to promote reading. One of these ideas is the one I am sharing with you today. The author calls this particular idea the Phonetic Object Game. I am calling it the reading box. Simply because I am using a box. Secondly, because I want to remember myself and the kidDOS the end goal: Reading.  :)

We set out to find object around the house to place in our box.
Plastic pocket on the lid to hold our flash cards
I wrote flash cards for every object in the box. One side is English - other side is Spanish. I wrote all the words in lower case and all vowels with red. To match the sticky letter color from LeapFrog videos and magnets.
I encourage the kidDOS to read and then match the flash card with the object.
Finally, they practice their handwriting by copying the words in their own flash cards.
We continue to have a lot of fun by adding new words to our box.

What are some fun games or activities you use to encourage your children to learn to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any ideas or opinions? We would love to hear from you.