9/23/11

Mami's Heart

This weeks, as always, my mind goes from thing to thing. There is so many ideas, many plans, many desires, many aspirations. The only thing I have to rely on is our Almighty Wonderful God. Thank you God for a wonderful life, as we walk on this earth with you. :)



Thought #1: Money

Papito and I started to take a finance class at church. We are so excited. We hope to learn more of God's principles about handling money, and to take some new practical steps in improving our way of living regarding, saving, giving and having long term financial goals. :)

As we have been reading the book our study is based on: Your Money Counts I got two great ideas about teaching our kidDOS about money.
 The first idea was to create a 3 section money bank. One section designated for money that is for spending, one section for savings and a third section for giving. Every time our children have money they are to divide it in the 3 different sections. What a wonderful idea!  They can learn early that all money is not meant to be spend immediately, but that there is other important things to do with it. I am looking forward to do that with them.  :)
 
When reading about teaching children how much money is worth i got the second idea. Well, my idea is to give each of them 1 or 2 quaters when we go garage selling, and see what they can buy. Perhaps they can find a toy they like that cost that amount or less. They will learn that there is other more expensive items that they cannot afford as well.  :)  It seems that tomorrow will be a good day to go and try that one.  :)

Thought #2:  Parenting

This week papito asked me again (this is like the third time he has asked me) to find some parenting resources, like seminars, classes, groups for both of us to attend. I email a couple of groups I belong to and found at least 12 different things happening close to our place. I am so happy to know there is a wealth of resources available for parents, and that we do not have to walk alone in the journey of parenting.



Thought #3:  Cooking

I really love cooking, but when I started to have the responsibility of cooking at least 2 meals a day, everything started to change. But now, after a couple of years doing the task, I have found a new love. I try to be faithful with my weekly meal planning.

Also I have been trying more bulk cooking.  :)  I prepare 5 meals of one of our favorite dishes, we eat one and I freeze the other 4 for the following weeks. That has made Mami's life so much more enjoyable.  :)

Picture from Mision tortillas website. Mision tortillas are from my home city of Monterrey, Mexico.
 Family recipe:  Carne Molida (Ground beef for tacos)  - great for freezing  :)
Makes a dinner for 4

1 lb of ground beef
1 large potato cut up in small cubes, 1/3 inch
1/2 can of petite diced tomatoes
1/4 cup of chopped onion
1 tsp mince garlic
salt, pepper and cumin to taste
  1. Brown the meat
  2. Add potato and onions and brown for 3 to 5 more minutes
  3. Add tomatoes, garlic and spices. Let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until well cooked.
  4. Enjoy with your favorite tortillas. We like flour.  :)
  5. Add options of: hot salsa (we prefer verde - tomatillos), lime juice, finely sliced lettuce, diced fresh tomatoes, shredded cheese, sour cream, refried beans, avocados or guacamole

Hope you all having a great week.  Let me know if you tried any of the ideas.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Any ideas or opinions? We would love to hear from you.