2/1/18

Tamales

I have memories of making tamales at my grandmother house back in Monterrey, Mexico.

Those are very fun and dear memories. The entire family will gather to cook, talk, laugh, share, and eat together. We will spend all day cooking. We will celebrate all night. People will make tamales, buñuelos, ponche, and many other dishes.
This winter my mom and dad came for a visit to our home. My mom proposed we make some tamales. I loved the idea. So I went to buy a big tamale pot. We started cooking on a Sunday, and we cooked every day until Wednesday. Sunday we worked on the chilies. Monday we cooked the meat and the beans. Tuesday we seasoned everything. Wednesday early in the morning we made the dough. Finally, Wednesday all afternoon we actually made the tamales.
To follow on the tradition of communal cooking, we invited Gramma and some of our neighbors to prepare the tamales together. We had so much fun cooking and laughing and talking. We all helped with the production. We all waited patiently until the tamales cooked. Then we all had some to enjoy for dinner. It was such an awesome time, I want to do it again.

I'm loving my Mexican traditions.
Smiles,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any ideas or opinions? We would love to hear from you.