11/4/13

Best Friends

I think that once a person learns to be a very good friend to one, it is an easily transferable skill, that will allow one to become a good friend to others as well.

As I listened to an online message from a very dear pastor to us, he briefly mentioned that in their family they have always considered/called each other "best friends". That statement has resided with me. So, I decided to go on a hunt to try to figure out how something like that could be embodied in our family as well.
As a family, we have been talking a lot about friends and friendship. We have been defining it in our day to day life, and we have tried to present as many examples as possible to the kiddos for them to form a clear understanding of what we mean.
Subsequently I have been using the statement "we are best friends" as I try to help them show in their words/actions how to live such a quality. I think we are making good progress towards it. However, I understand the goals will show in long term results, since it requires time to mature.

A friend shared with me a great idea that her daughter had. In their family they have days called "Not Your Birthday". One of the siblings will suggest a "Not Your Birthday Day" for one of the other siblings and the entire family treats the chosen child to be celebrated as the birthday boy/girl, even though it is not the actual day. We found it very fun. In our family we also spun it into just simple actions throughout our days as a "Not Your Birthday" act, like giving a small gift, or sharing a special treat, etc.

Would love to hear your thoughts about ways to help our children become "best friends".

Smiles, 

1 comment:

  1. Hola Amigos!
    Finally Sky and I found time to meet you! I am telling Sky about your family and we are looking at the pics. You look familiar to Sky as he lived in your city for 7 years doing his doctoral research at UT (2001-2008). Maybe you met at some meeting at the church or mutual friends. Anyway, Sky has many good friends in your city, maybe when we visit them we can meet you too.
    Thanks for posting all those updates. I always read them and thank our Lord for blessing you. Give a hug to the children.
    Many blessings,
    Sky & Gabriela

    ReplyDelete

Any ideas or opinions? We would love to hear from you.